Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Beginning

I have been telling myself for years that I should start a blog, if for no other reason than to get in some writing practice and refine my tone.  So here it is. The title, Clastic Fill, is a play on a phrase from a movie, The Hangover, that came to me while listening to a lecture on sedimentary rocks.

I study Geology.  It happens to finally be in an official capacity as I am enrolled in a geology program but I have always loved rocks, the earth and the science surrounding them. Most kids seem to have a rock collection at some point, but mine got to the point of the parents limiting the amount of rocks per hike or camping trip.  I was allowed one.  I still limit myself to this same amount. Most are little fragments of granite or gneiss.  I'm a huge fan of metamorphic rocks.  The little ones are now the matrix in which my bamboo plants sit, but I still have a few large ones.

I am also a huge Lego maniac. I have a tattoo of a Lego on my hip. That is how much I love them. Legos are my art form. I make portraits and mosaics, and the occasional statue. I am currently working on some models with which to teach science.

My long term boyfriend, who will be referred to in this blog as PBF (Pseudonym Boyfriend), and I love to cook.  A lot of our time spent together is cooking various and delicious meals.  In the past month, we have learned to make our own salami, make tamales and make both refried and baked beans from scratch.

So now I have begun what I hope to be at least an entertaining endeavor for myself, but hopefully for some others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment